Grant's Notes on Historical Events
The items in this timeline are from the various notes I've made in class and my reading.
Accuracy is not guaranteed.
Fourth Century B.C.E.
- Earliest Eucharistic prayer
Writing of the defense of the church.
- Christianity legalized by Emperor Constantine.
St. Justin Martyr
"The First Apology", "The Second Apology", "The Dialogue With Trypho the Jew"
325 C.E. - Great Council of Nicaea
The council was called by Constantine.
Lead to the breakup of the Church.
- Presbyterians began ordaining women.
- Lutherans began ordaining women.
- First woman rabbi in the United States was ordained.
- Episcopal church in the United States voted to recognize the ordination of women priests.
"Declaration on the Question of Admitting Women to the Priesthood" issued by Vatican.
- Barbara Harris ordained as first female bishop of the Episcopal church.
- Anglican church of South Africa voted to ordain women.
- Church of England approved the ordination of women priests. The vote was one by two votes.
This is a student produced page
(by Grant Neufeld),
made in conjunction with the Religion 34.203 course
"Women in the Christian Tradition"
at Carleton University.
Portions Copyright ©1996 Grant Neufeld.
Reproduction of images included in this work, in part or in whole, outside
the context of this work, is strictly prohibited.